Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Twelve Days of Christmas

The gift-opening has officially begun at our house! Nana and Papa began a tradition 12 years ago that my girls look forward to all year. On the 12 days leading up until Christmas, each girl opens a very small gift from Nana and Papa. Today was the day they were able to open their first gift! This year we have had a different focus on our gift-giving. The girls have taken quite an interest this year in comparing their own Christmas wish lists to those who are much less fortunate. Hannah especially has been humbled by the thought of how far her money can go for children in other parts of the world. She so willingly gave up her own spending money so that other children can have food and shelter and schooling opportunities. Hannah even told us she doesn't want anything for Christmas this year. I have always marveled at those parents who are able to give their children only three gifts, just like baby Jesus received. That has always been my goal, but my selfishness always takes over and I buy more for my kids than I set out to. I pray that this Christmas season, their hearts will be touched to reach out to those less fortunate, and realize how very blessed we all are. It is so much more blessed to give than to receive.

1 comments:

Florida Girl said...

Went back to read again . . . enjoyed it as much as I did the first time! Love ya.