Thursday, October 7, 2010

THE BRADY BUNCH


Now if ever there was a TV family that could have, should have, and probably would have homeschooled (If it had been just a decade or so later!), it would be the Bradys. I mean, really. Think about it! Believe it or not, I have thought about this, and I hope you enjoy my
Top Ten Reasons Why Carol Brady Should Have Homeschooled!


10) She had a shag haircut–a quick, simple, easy-to-maintain do that would have been perfect for those up and at 'em homeschool mornings.

9) She had six kids. 'Nuff said.

8) She had that room off the kitchen that would have made a perfect
homeschool room. Can't you see world maps adorning those wood-paneled
walls, along with the kids' art and a bulletin board complete with
chore chart? Just sayin'.

7) She loved family field trips! Think about the trips to the Grand Canyon and Hawaii, incorporating education with family fun. She was just thiiiis far away from greatness….

6) She loved camping!

5) She loved reading in bed! (Although I feel sure that if she were on the air today, she would be watching HGTV in bed)

4) She was all about sibling unity–the girls shared a room, the boys shared a room, and they all shared a bathroom. That's quality family time right there. (I'm actually serious. My kids share a bathroom, and it has proven to be a bonding experience...sort of)

3) She got involved in politics (remember saving the city park?)

2) She was way ahead of her time doing unit studies! UNIT STUDIES!!!! Remember when Bobby learned about Jesse James (they invited an author over to tell him the truth); Peter's awesome science fair project (the VOLCANO!!!!); and Greg and Mike's passion for photography (including the darkroom they set up in the bathroom). The woman had a heart for learning at home!


And the number one reason why Carol Brady should have been a homeschooling mom…

1) She had Alice. What I wouldn't give for an ALICE! I mean, really, people--wouldn't an Alice make your homeschooling life so much easier? :)

I remain almost convinced that Carol Brady was even secretly homeschooling her clan during summer breaks except for one sad but true factor that dispels the urban legend I am trying so hard to create:

Carol Brady never--ever--wore a blue jean jumper.

by Rebecca Ingram Powell. Rebecca is a pastor's wife, a homeschooling mother of three, and a nationally-known author and speaker. Connect online at http://rebeccaingrampowell.blogspot.com/.

I have always identified with the Brady Bunch - I think most kids of the 70's did. It was that typical all-American family dream that seemed so idealistic. Except for the fact that my family came veeeeeeery close to being the Brady's. You see, my mom had three girls (I would by Cindy in the line-up), and then she met a man who had three boys - and then they got married. That's the way we became the..... well, you know the rest.

We were only missing an Alice.....


4 comments:

Nana said...

This is too funny. Maybe you should re-produce the Brady Bunch (in your spare time) for the 21st century. You could give her the pony tail and denim jumper and she could be ready to homeschool in a heartbeat. I can think of 1 reason I would NOT want to homeschool if I were her. 6 KIDS. Ugh. Can't imagine trying to homeschool 6 kids. I think if I were her I would have just stayed single. Of course she did inherit Alice with the marriage and Alice pretty much did everything, so maybe she was pretty smart after all.

Caseybumpinalong said...

Love this! Ah... having dreams of an Alice of my own...

Unknown said...

Oh that was awesome!

Anita Johnson said...

This totally cracked me up. I've often thought that an "Alice" would have been nice, but not if I had to have been married to Mr. Brady. He seemed clueless to me!
PS The photos of the girls in the revious post are beautiful!