Wednesday, March 9, 2011

How's Hannah-Banana??

Hannah is doing great!  She has been sooo excited to be back at school with her friends.  When she was out sick a few days she just talked about how much she missed her friends and her teacher all day.  She is in LOVE with her teacher.   With Hannah starting back mid-year, her teacher and principal had decided to not even give her grades so that she wouldn't get frustrated and discouraged - but look at this!!


She has been working so hard and doing so well that.. why not put that grade on there?  We are so proud of her.  I think homeschooling for a year and a half was just exactly what she needed to get her feet back under her again.  She has just blossomed in her studies and in her friendships that she had missed so much!


Guess what Miss Banana is doing here?


This used to make me crazy....


This is what she does anytime I need her to really focus....


until I finally learned (through homeschooling).....


that this is how she relaxes and is able to make her brain kick into high gear.  So - what is she doing in these pictures?  She is memorizing the Declaration of Independence.    Next week her class is visiting Philadelphia and will visit the exact place that the Declaration of Independence was signed.  I remember Punkin doing this in 5th  grade - and hearing them recite the declaration while standing in the same room that it was signed --- it's just something you never forget!!


It has been VERY HANDY to have Punkin, who just happens to be taking AP Latin as a sophmore - to be able to tutor Banana in Latin.  Banana's class is in their third year of Latin, and she has some catching up to do since we took a break from Latin last year.


Can you find Boo in all the pictures above?? It's like a little game of Where's Waldo - but it's Where's Boo??


It's been great to be able to still use our homeschool methods during homework time.  I feel like now I have discovered some keys to help her unlock her potential!!

Caution - Random Thoughts Ahead....


Yesterday, I decided it was HIGH time to remove any signs of winter decor in the house, so I piled up anything winter-ish on the table.  While doing homework with Banana, I looked up to see Boo sitting on the table dangling snowflakes from her toes. 



Do you know what happens when you go to BJ's while you are hungry?  You come home with ten pounds of Easter chocolate. 

AND - if you haven't seen this movie yet, Amish Grace, I highly recommend it.  But have tissues handy.  It is an incredible movie about the power of forgiveness.

Okay, that's all.



6 comments:

The Full Nelson said...

I'll have to check out that movie. It must be so rewarding to see Hannah doing so well after homeschooling. It also shows how well you did teaching her. Your girls' schools sound wonderful!

Christy said...

haha - that candy pic didn't show up in Google reader until I opened your blog to comment. mmmmm now I want some! I already stocked up on spring Oreos today at Target - I don't need any candy too! :) Would love to hear all your homeschooling techniques that you can still use now, since we are considering a hybrid program next year and I'm having a hard time relinquishing control over curriculum choices. Though they have great ones! :) Glad to hear everything's going well!

Carrie said...

I am soooo glad to hear that Hannah is doing so well! That must do oodles and oodles for her self-esteem! :)

Nana said...

Way to go Hannah. You are great. Have fun in Pa. And have a VERY Happy Birthday. I love you.

jgaga7 said...

Yes, have fun in Pa. Hannah. I remember you eating lunch when you little and moving all over the chair just like hese pictures. Great grades and HappyBirthday! Love to all of you.

Susie said...

Wow, well done to Hannah, she is doing so well!! I love her thinking poses lol and those snowflake toes are too cute :-)